Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons
The best Coconut Macaroons ever – crunchy on the outside, tender and coconutty inside and enrobed in dark chocolate – simply heavenly! This recipe is adapted from a recipe found in Gourmet Magazine, as seen on Epicurious.com.
- Prep Time: 15 mins.
- Cook Time: 32 mins.
- Total Time: 47 minutes
- Yield: 45 Macaroons
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- 9 Large Egg Whites
- 2 1/3 c Granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 t Salt
- 1 T Natural Vanilla Extract
- 1-14 0z. Bag Sweetened, Flaked Coconut (5 1/3 cups)
- 3/4 c AP flour
- 12-16 oz. Fine-quality Bittersweet Chocolate
- In a 3-quart saucepan, stir together the egg whites, sugar, salt, vanilla and coconut, until well-mixed. Then sift in the flour, and stir again. Over moderate heat, cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium-high, and continue to stir until mixture thickens and begins to pull away from the sides and bottom of the pan, about 3-5 minutes more.
- Transfer thickened mixture to a bowl, cool slightly. Cover its surface with plastic wrap, and chill until the mixture is just cold. This takes quite a while, maybe a couple of hours. (I admit I usually wait 45-60 minutes, and scoop and bake lukewarm macaroon with no problem (!).
- Preheat oven to 300F. Using a 1/2 oz (1 Tablespoon or 15ml) scoop, scoop the dough onto a buttered or parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between scoops. Bake until golden. In my (convection) oven, this took 32 minutes. In a conventional oven, they may be golden around 25 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- When macaroons are cool, chop the chocolate. Set a metal or glass bowl over a pan of simmering water, and melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Dip the macaroons into the melted chocolate, one at a time, coating them halfway. Transfer the dipped macaroons to a parchment- or foil-lined tray. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set.
These Macaroons keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week or so. If kept in the freezer, they will last longer, just be sure to take them out 30 minutes prior to serving.
- Serving Size: 1 Macaroon
- Calories: 100