An easy-to-make and beautiful dessert for a Springtime dinner or buffet!
- Prep Time: 40m
- Cook Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h 40m
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 lb Fresh rhubarb (about 5 large stalks), cut into 3/4" chunks
- 1 1/2 lb Fresh strawberries, stemmed and cut in half if large
- 2/3 c Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Cornstarch or AP flour
- 1 tbsp. Natural vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 3/4 c Brown sugar (light preferred), lightly packed
- 3/4 c AP flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 10 tbsp. Unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3/4 c Old-fashioned oats
- 1 c Roasted and salted pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place strawberries and rhubarb into a large bowl. Add the sugar, cornstarch and vanilla. Set aside while you prepare the topping.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, AP flour and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the sugar, flour and salt mixture until the largest butter pieces are the size of peas. If you don't have a pastry cutter, you can use your fingertips to rub the butter bits with the four mixture, again, until the largest pieces are the size of a pea.
- Stir in the oats and pecans.
- Into a 13x9 or 11x7 baking pan, pour the fruit mixture. Sprinkle the topping in an even layer over the fruit. Bake 55-65 minutes, until topping is deep golden brown. Cool at least 20 minutes. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.