These cups are better than the ones you buy in the store! The same slightly salty, slightly crunchy filling with rich chocolate that just melts in your mouth (and your hand). If you use vegan chips, you can serve them to your vegan friends, too!
The method of putting these together I found on It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
Special equipment needed: 24 cupcake cups
- 1 c All-natural Smooth Peanut Butter, salted (I used Trade Joe's)
- 1/2 c Confectioners' Sugar
- 1/2 c Graham Cracker Crumbs (or 7 squares, ground)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Natural Vanilla
- 23 oz (2 bags) semi-sweet or bittersweet Chocolate Chips (such as Guittard Extra Dark 63%)
- Whisk together confectioners' sugar, Graham cracker crumbs and salt. Stir into the peanut butter, along with the vanilla to form the thick peanut butter filling.
- Divide the filling into 4 equal parts. Separate each of the 4 parts into 6 small balls. Then press each ball into a small disk, for a total of 24 disks.
- Using a double boiler, or a metal bowl placed over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate chips.
- Line 2 muffin tins with the 24 cupcake cups. Place a small bit of melted chocolate into the bottom of each cup. I used a slightly heaping teaspoon. Using the back of a spoon or small offset spatula, spread the chocolate to cover the entire bottom of each cup. Then place one of the peanut butter disks atop the layer of chocolate. Top each peanut butter disk until it is covered, with about 2 teaspoons of chocolate, using all of the remaining chocolate.
- Place the tins in the refrigerator until peanut butter cups are set. You can serve them cold or at room temperature. Both are delicious!